Thursday, March 6, 2014

Sunken Gardens

We went to the Sunken Gardens here in St. Petersburg, Florida. I'm so enlightened by the plants they can grow here. When I look thru my seed catalogs, dreaming of what I will grow this year, I'm always drawn to the things that won't grow in Michigan. Well, they'll grow, but not outside for long.

Things that we have to consider house plants grow outside here. Crotons, philodendrons, podocarpus, ferns, and so many others. I don't even know their names.


There were flamingos at the Sunken Gardens. Chilean Flamingos. Aren't flamingos native to Florida?
They really do move just like Disney has them move in animation.


Spanish moss galore, which I learned is neither Spanish, nor a moss.


I think the pattern on palm trees is quite attractive. It's woven, can you see it in a quilt?

I'm linking today with I Quilt Thursdays @ Pretty BobbinsReally Random  Thursday @ live a colorful life and Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation. Thank you

Lin

6 comments:

Celtic Thistle said...

That palm tree pattern would make a great quilt!

Anonymous said...

I'll be watching for a palm tree quilt! Nice photos.

Catherine said...

I'd love some of that warmer weather. On my way to Birmingham as Isobel (last weeks birthday girl) now has chickenpox

Live a Colorful Life said...

This was so interesting! So when our son was younger, whenever we would go to the zoo, I always used to make him stand like a flamingo in front of all the flamingos. Toward the end, maybe 7th grade, he hated doing that and finally refused. Yes, I guess 7th grade is pushing it... Interestingly, he makes HIS kids do the same thing. Hmmmm.

Nadine said...

I agree that the palm tree is super inspiration for a quilt. There's a book called Simply Stunning Woven Quilts from a few years back that might help technique-wise if you every decide to really do it! Loved your pictures and random bits! :-)

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

I think the palm tree bark pattern would make a beautiful quilt.

Thanks so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

:) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation