Sunday, June 1, 2014

Judy Niemeyer Quilt

I took a class at NQA from a Judy Niemeyer Certified Instructor on Judy's Desert Sky quilt. Judy's patterns are so *involved*, I wanted to have someone telling what came next on my first one. I was very glad I did. I also bought a kit, so the instructor had all the fabrics picked out, and preliminary cutting done. As you probably know, Judy's quilts use paper piecing as her means of making those sharp precise points. Here are some pictures from the class. Karen Conley was the instructor. I would rate her as very good.









The bottom picture is from Desert Sky, the others are different Judy patterns. Karen said after making this pattern, we should be able to make other Judy patterns without someone step-by-stepping us thru it. It actually was not difficult when you do it step by step.

Here are some pics from my pieces:



The red/blue quadrant is my favorite. The colors really pop for me. It will have a background, like the bottom picture does, of the blue raindrop fabric. Putting on the background piece is pretty easy too, because everything fits so well.
Can't wait to work on this again. Soon. Just a few things in front of it.

Thanks,
Lin

12 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love Judy's patterns I have made 2 of them both queen size - but that was before I had a decent sewing machine and hand pieced the quilts instead of using paper. I think a lot of people do not realize you can do that. I made a double wedding ring with applique borders and another called Twisted Stars

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your blocks are beautiful! I have several of Judy's patterns and really need to sit down and work with one. A class would be awesome!

Sue Wild said...

Pretty amazing. They needed to be paper pieced to get the points so precise. Sounds as though you really enjoyed to class

salamanda said...

Hi Lin, the more I see of paper piecing the more I want to try as I'm not an accurate piecer as yet. I like epp as it makes me more accurate.

Barb and Sharon said...

Your blocks are beautiful. That will be a very effective quilt when you finish.
Barb@Witsend

Patchwork Fairy said...

Amazing quilts, love the wedding rings one. x

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Your blocks look great - such crisp points! Looking forward to seeing your progress on this!

Unknown said...

I just love the use of the batik prints!

Hannlib said...

This looks great, such complicated work! I love how you can do that with FPP

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Fab blocks - I particularly enjoy using batiks for foundation paper piecing - it gives you one less thing to think about when it doesn't matter which is the front and back of the fabric! - Chris

One English Teacher said...

Those colors are stunning!

Gina said...

Great show and tell. I love what you've done so far. I love Judy's patterns but am really nervous about taking the plunge xx