Friday, May 9, 2014

The Results Are In!

I posted here about my practice with different Hobbs battings. I bought a sample pack a year ago and finally did my research. I did different quilting patterns on each type of batting. I also included Warm and Natural, which I have been using, but haven't been satisfied with lately. It got to much like a board. I also got a
free (!) sample of Dream Green.
I washed and dried all of the samples.

Heirloom Natural with Scrim:
Pre wash
Post wash





Heirloom & Tuscany Bleached Cotton


Post wash
Pre wash














Heirloom Natural and Tuscany Unbleached Cotton:

Post-wash

pre wash

















Heirloom Premium Cotton Blend:   The pre wash picture is MIA 

Post wash



Heirloom 80/20 Black:   The pre wash picture is MIA

post wash




Heirloom 80/20 Bleached Cotton:
post wash

Pre wash
















Heirloom 80/20 Fusible Cotton:
Post wash

Pre wash















post wash

Heirloom & Tuscany Washable Wool:
Pre wash












Tuscany Silk:  The pre wash picture is MIA.

Post wash

Thermore:   The pre wash picture is MIA

Post wash
Polydown:   The pre wash picture is MIA

Post wash

Tuscany Polyester:   The pre wash picture is MIA

Post wash
Warm and Natural:   No pre wash picture

Post wash

And Dream Green:  No pre wash picture available.

Post wash
Big Question:
What would I want to use again? I think my vote goes to Polydown. I like the way it *feels*--drapy, soft, puffy. I really like the flowers I did too. The silk has a wonderful feel also.
Least favorite for regular use? Warm and Natural. I have to use up the ones I have tho.

Long post today.

Thanks,
Lin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea. I need to bookmark this for future quilt choices.

Hillary

Catherine said...

A really great post and so useful.

Linda Wulf Koenig said...

I totally intended to do this with my Hobbs' batting samples, so thank you for following through. (I got them at the AQS show in Paducah, but ended up using all of the cotton samples for a qayg project.) Thank you for reporting the results of your test!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post. It is so useful to see a side by side comparison like this. The Tuscany Silk batting is my favorite. I love the way it draps and it retains its loft through dozens of washes.