Friday, October 10, 2014

October Finish!

We had 20 mph winds on Wednesday Oct. 8. Guess who was golfing. It managed to get up to 50 degrees by noon, with this wind. Am I crazy, or what?? Wait, don't answer that. (If you do say I'm crazy, that only proves you know me.)

Things were blowing around. More naked trees now. Poor trees. They get to glory in their lovely colors for such a short time, and they get robbed early of their prettiness. So unfair.


That's a plant stand that is on our deck. Must have made a tremendous crash when it came down. I was out golfing. Guess it's way past time to get this cleaned up anyway. Just a gentle nudge from Mother Nature.

----

Now I'll talk about my finish. Melons and Creamsicles is finished! Taa Daa!





These are after washing and drying. I had a good time making swirls thru out the creamy white background. I wanted the pin wheels to pop. Check out the back, where you can really see the quilting.





You can see my circles in a couple of the pics. I used a spool as a template. My wonderful Mr. LQ got me a template of all sizes of circles. It came today. So next time, I won't have to use a spool.

My "feathers" are a somewhat different species than I usually use. I borrowed them from LuAnn Kessi's blog. She calls them Big Leaves. I'm calling them Molar Petals. I think they are the shape of molars.

Statistics:

Melons and Creamsicles
Pieced in Florida, starting winter 2013-2014
Mirabelle Fabric 
Warm and Natural Batting
Size: 58" x 64.5"
Was 62" x 70" before quilting and washing.

---

OK, now I'm asking for help. Does anyone know how to clear the thin applicator for Roxanne's Glue Baste It? I thought I washed it out completely last time, but one (you get two in a package, thank goodness) is sealed with glue. It is soaking in water, even as we speak. Does anything dissolve it once it is completely dried? The applicator is so skinny, I can't fit anything down it to work at the glue. 

Thanks,
Lin

8 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

this is what I use. http://www.p3designs.com/shop/product/crowning-touch-fasturn-lil-sticks/
very skinny pieces of wire that fit perfectly through the skinny applicator - I always keep some on hand they can bend after awhile but they are so cheap it doesn't cost much to replace them, - I have never found them in the store.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

and yes soaking the applicator in glue helps before you stick the wire in it - run it back and forth and rinse out also

Yvonne @ Quilting Jetgirl said...

Wow, it must have been pretty windy to knock over your plant stand!

Congratulations on the finish - I was a bit off in my guesses for the shrinkage. Amazing how much it will change, isn't it? I have been trying to us 9-10% as an assumption when I really need a quilt to be a certain size (to drape nicely on a bed).

Catherine said...

Hi Lin,
I love a blustery autumn. Our days are starting off like that then we seem to be back to summer for a few hours. Very changeable.
I love melons and creamsicles. Your quilting turners out so well

Cheryl said...

I loved the quilt top, but with your quilting I love the finished quilt even more! The swirls look wonderful.

Heather Graves said...

I love this quilt - Fig Tree is some of my favorite fabric! Amazing quilting, your spirals look great!

Lorna McMahon said...

What a lovely finish, Lin! The quilting is beautiful and sure does make those pretty pinwheels pop!

Seams Sew Together said...

Beautiful quilt and quilting!